- Datafile Name: Massachusetts LunaticsDownload .TXT file
- Datafile Subject: Health, Medical, Social Science,
- Story names:
- Reference: J.M. Hunter, "Need and Demand for Mental Health Care: Massachusetts 1854," The Geographic Review, 77:2 (April 1987), pp 139-156.
- Authorization: free use
- Description: These data are from an 1854 survey conducted by the Massachusetts Commission
on Lunacy under the leadership of Edward Jarvis. Dr. Jarvis was President of the
American Statistical Association from 1852 to 1882.
- Number of Cases 14
- Variable Names:
- NBR = Number of lunatics, by county
- DIST = Distance to nearest mental health center
- POP = County population , 1950 (thousands)
- PDEN = County population density per square mile
- PHOME = Percent of lunatics cared for at home