- Datafile Name: State Public ExpendituresDownload .TXT file
- Datafile Subject: Government, Economics, Finance,
- Story names: State Spending and Ability to Pay, State Public Expenditures,
- Reference: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Government Finances
in 1960, Census of Population, 1960, Census of Manufactures, 1958, Statistical
Abstract of the United States, 1961.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Statistics, 1961.
U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Yearbook, 1960.
- Authorization: free use
- Description: Per capita state and local public expenditures and associated state demographic and economic characteristics, 1960.
- Number of Cases 48
- Variable Names:
- EX: Per capita state and local public expenditures ($)
- ECAB: Economic ability index, in which income, retail sales, and the value of output (manufactures, mineral, and agricultural) per capita are equally weighted.
- MET: Percentage of population living in standard metropolitan areas
- GROW: Percent change in population, 1950-1960
- YOUNG: Percent of population aged 5-19 years
- OLD: Percent of population over 65 years of age
- WEST: Western state (1) or not (0)